Language workshop at Campus Gotland
Are you having trouble structuring a paper? Do you want some feedback on the language in your oral presentation? If so, the Language Workshop can help you.
The Language Workshop is free of charge and open to all students at Campus Gotland. We offer individual consultations on written and oral presentations in both Swedish and English. All tutors at the Language Workshop have extensive experience in teaching academic writing and speech in different academic disciplines. Read more about consultations.
NB: Due to the spread of the coronavirus, we only offer online consultations at the present time.
The Language Workshop can also be contacted by teachers who wish to incorporate workshops or lectures into their respective programs or courses.
Courses in english - autumn semester 2020
During the autumn term of 2020 the Language Workshop at Uppsala University will offer two online courses in English for international students. The courses are open to students on the undergraduate and Master’s levels, and to PhD students. Exchange students will be accepted if there are spaces available. More information on the courses in English this autumn.
Make an appointment
Please observe that all consultations must be booked in advance.
Consultations in English (and Swedish*)
Between week 36 (31 August) and week 2 2021 (17 January), you can make appointments for a consultation the following days and times:
- Tuesdays: 14:00-15:00
- Thursdays: 15:00-17:00
- Fridays: 13:00-14:00
Tutor in English: Andreas Thor
*If you need consultations in Swedish, we refer to the Swedish page of the Language workshop.
Changes Due to the Corona Pandemic
Presently, we only offer online consultations, via either Zoom or telephone. You will receive more information once you make an appointment. Please read more about our guidelines for online tutorial at the Language Workshop here.
You can make an appointment for a consultation at the Language Workshop via email: email@example.com.
- When you email to book an appointment, please include information about your field of study, and what kind of assignment you want help with.
- Please remember to confirm that you want the appointment that you have been offered.
- If you are unable to come to your appointment, please make sure to cancel!
E-mailing the Language Workshop at Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. More information on how Uppsala University handle personal data.
- Subject guides, UU: This site provides links to a number of dictionaries and databases. Some of them are available to subscribers only. Uppsala University Library subscribes to them and they can be reached from any computer linked to the university network.
- Synonym.com . A quick and easy-to-use dictionary which helps you find synonyms and antonyms.
- FOLDOC. Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing
Grammar and Language
- BBC Skillswise. This site contains exercises and information about various aspects of the English language, such as grammar, spelling, and reading. It also contains fun games to help you improve your language skills.
- Guide to Grammar and Style
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
Guides to essay writing
- Guide to Grammar and Writing. This site provides information about everything from grammar and sentence structure to the writing process and different types of essays. It also offers quizzes and FAQs.
- Advice on Grammar and Writing. This site provides links to guides concerning all areas of essay writing: planning and organizing, reading and researching, using sources, specific types of writing, style and editing, and grammar and punctuation.
- Academic Phrasebank. This site consists of brief information about the different parts of an academic essay together with useful phrases can be used in the different sections.
- Online Technical Writing. A guide for how to write technical reports. It includes examples of texts from various fields.
- Using English for Academic Purposes: A Guide for International Students . An informative site about academic writing.
- WriteFix: Argument and Opinion Essay Writing. Here you will find tips on how to write short argument and opinion compositions.
- University of Richmond, Writing Center. This sites contains information about academic writing in general as well as in different disciplines.
- The Writing Center: University of Wisconsin-Madison. This site provides information about all aspects of academic writing.
- Citing and referencing. This site describes some of the most common systems of documentation.
- Plagiarism.org. This site discusses what plagiarism is and how to avoid it.